1 dead in attack on Save the Children office

1 dead in attack on Save the Children office


Smoke rises at the site of a blast near the office of the Save the Children aid agency in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, in this still image taken from Reuters TV footage, Jan. 24, 2018.



REUTERS




KABUL, Afghanistan -- A group of gunmen stormed a non-governmental children's organization in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, killing one person, said provincial officials.


Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the Wednesday attack was against Save the Children's provincial office in Jalalabad.


Inamullah Miakhial, spokesman for Nangarhar regional hospital, said one person was killed and at least 14 wounded were brought to the hospital.  


Khogyani told the French news agency AFP later Wednesday morning that fighting had ended.


"The security forces are clearing the building now. Our initial information shows so far that one dead and 14 wounded have been taken to hospitals," he told AFP.


The attack started with a suicide bomber and was followed by gunfire, said Khogyani.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said the Taliban was not involved in the attack; both Taliban insurgents as well as Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighters are active in eastern Nangarhar province.


The attack follows a deadly weekend siege of the Intercontinental Hotel in the capital Kabul in which 22 people were killed, including 14 foreigners. Multiple U.S. citizens were killed and injured in the Taliban's 13-hour siege of the hotel, the State Department said Tuesday. No exact figures were immediately available for either the U.S. fatalities or injuries.


Eleven of the 14 foreigners had been previously identified as working for the private Afghan airline KamAir. During a ceremony at Kabul's airport Wednesday the bodies of seven Ukrainian citizens were handed over to officials for transfer to Ukraine.


AFGHANISTAN-UNREST-ATTACK

An Afghan policeman keeps watch at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Jan. 23, 2018, three days after an attack by Taliban militants who killed at least 22 people at the luxury hotel often used by foreign travelers and dignitaries.



Getty


Mirwais Samadi, head of the consulate department of the Afghanistan Foreign Ministry, said the attack was launched by "terrorists" and their supporters.


"Some of our countrymen were martyred and some foreign nationals also were killed," he said. "We express our condolences and thoughts to the victims and families."


In eastern Ghazni province, meanwhile, four Afghan police were killed after their checkpoint came under an attack by insurgents, said Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor.


Six insurgents were killed and three were wounded in the battle, which took place early morning Wednesday in Dayak district, said Noori.



© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.