I guess it's called escapism for a reason.
The best part about movies is their ability to transport us into another world.
Unless it's a fantasy world, the characters typically experience obstacles and adventures that many of us can relate to — the only difference is that it looks a lot cooler when they're doing these things. Reddit user u/13FiSTrecruiting recently asked the internet, "What looks fun in movies, but in real life is miserable?" Here are the top-rated replies:
1. "Sleeping in tall grass. In reality, those fields would be infested with bugs that are more than likely to bite you."
2. "Stakeouts. My husband did one once. It basically consisted of sitting in a parking lot all night unable to turn the car on for heat or music and having to stare at the back entrance of a grocery store. He did it for five nights. Sounds incredibly boring."
3. "Montages where they’re working hard. Especially if it’s a 'glow-up' thing full of exercise and dieting and self-improvement. In reality it kinda sucks. There’s no fast-forward and no silly music."
4. "Elaborate pranks. Great for comedies…and also a great way to fuck up relationships."
New Line Cinema
5. "Digging a hole. Cartoons make it look so easy and quick. In reality hours of back-breaking work will get you six inches down."
6. "Fighting. Seriously, don’t do it. I have six felony charges and can't do anything that I wanted to do in my younger years. No one likes an aggressive person. You’re not gonna get any babes, or whatever."
7. "Penetrative sex with only a few seconds of kissing as 'foreplay.' Sooooo painful!"
8. "Sex in the shower. It's cramped and difficult to find a good angle, you can't move too much without the risk of slipping, and water is a terrible lubricant."
9. "Walking away slowly from a nearby explosion."
10. "Military movies where there is always action happening. Really? Really, Hollywood?"
11. "Hanging up on people. In movies, it makes you look badass and mysterious. In real life, it makes you look like an inconsiderate asshole and will prompt a 'WTF happened' callback."
12. "CPR. On TV it's just a fun cutesy little water coughing thing that you recover from immediately. In real life it involves breaking ribs and maybe dying anyway."
13. "High school 'kids' have like 30-minute breaks between classes...if they're even going to those classes. In reality, I had like five minutes to get to class on time. I didn't have time to use the toilet, let alone talk to friends."
14. "Doing anything in the snow. It's bitter, cold, makes your nose run, glasses foggy, and it's not always fluffy. Also generally anything cute to wear is not warm enough."
15. "Cramped frat parties. I went to one thinking it would be a great first time experience, but I really just ended up hating how stuffy the place was and how drunk some people were."
16. "Smashing a window with your fist."
17. "Kissing after waking up."
18. And finally, "Living on a desert island."
20th Century Studios
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.