Prepare to be shocked.
1. Steve Carell in The Office vs. Foxcatcher
"Typically Steve Carell is the quirky, funny, all-around lovable guy, but in this movie his character is dark, intense, and unsettling. He absolutely nailed it."
2. Emilia Clarke in Game of Thrones vs. Me Before You
3. Will Ferrell in various comedies vs. Stranger Than Fiction
"Not only is this movie beautiful (and highly underrated), but Ferrell's portrayal of a buttoned-up IRS agent is so charming and believable that you can’t help but fall in love with him. It’s the first time I ever saw him in a more serious role and like many great comedians, he completely changed my view of him as an actor."
4. Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls vs. The Notebook
5. Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire vs. One Hour Photo
"He’s totally different! He’s genuinely unsettling and scary in that role."
6. Melissa McCarthy in various comedies vs. Can You Ever Forgive Me?
"I’d really only seen her in comedies and this was far from that. She was nominated for an Oscar for her role."
7. Bill Hader in Saturday Night Live vs. Barry
"While he's still funny, he is absolutely terrifying. He plays an ex-Marine who is now a hit man. The pure rage, pain, and agony his character feels is portrayed perfectly. And I know what you’re thinking: Bill Hader? Scary? No way. Oh my gosh, yes way. He keeps you on the edge of your seat."
9. Emily Blunt in A Quiet Place vs. Mary Poppins
10. Ross Lynch in Austin & Ally vs. My Friend, Dahmer
"He went from being a Disney kid to portraying one of the most prolific serial killers known to man, and he absolutely murdered the role (no pun intended)."
11. Zac Efron in various comedies vs. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile
"He'd been in a lot of comedies (Neighbors) and family movies (High School Musical), but he crushed it as serial killer Ted Bundy."
12. Mo'Nique in various comedies vs. Precious
"Her performance was amazing."
13. Jason Bateman in various comedies vs. Ozark
"Watch Jason Bateman in Arrested Development, Horrible Bosses, The Change-Up, and other silly comedies, then watch him in Ozark..."
14. Lizzy Caplan in Mean Girls vs. Castle Rock
"You know her iconic humorous role as Janis in Mean Girls, but have you seen her in Castle Rock? She plays the unstable and murderous Annie Wilkes and wow. She is unbelievable! Talk about range. From 'I’ve got a big lesbian crush on you' to a hallucinating psycho."
15. Bryan Cranston in Malcolm in the Middle vs. Breaking Bad
"He shows incredible range."
16. John Lithgow in 3rd Rock from the Sun vs. Dexter
"He was so scary — the best villain on Dexter. I had only known him in silly roles before this. All I could think while watching was, 'This is the same guy from 3rd Rock from the Sun?!'”
17. Heath Ledger in various roles vs. The Dark Knight
"Heath Ledger as the Joker. Some thought it was a horrible casting choice. All it takes is watching the first five minutes of the movie to know that he was without a doubt the right choice."
18. Jim Carrey in Liar Liar vs. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
"Honestly, Jim Carrey as Joel in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind always struck me as something so poignant and different from everything else he has done. Hard to believe it's the same actor in Liar Liar."
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.