Writing this article was very Ravenclaw of me.
Hi, I'm Lizzy, and I spent my formative years at a British boarding school.
When Harry Potter first came out, I saw so many similarities to my school life that I wondered...am I in fact a witch?
1. For starters — and this is a big one — we actually wore cloaks.
Yes, this is me romping around in my school cloak as an adult.
2. Everyone was assigned to a House, and House colors were an integral part of the uniform.
I may or may not have chosen my House just because I like purple.
3. We could only change out of our uniforms after 6 p.m. or on the weekends.
We called our casual clothing "mufti." (Don't ask me why.)
4. Every house had a reputation.
In a nut shell the most accurate description of the Hogwarts House traits. #HarryPotter08:55 PM - 16 Dec 2019
My house was known to be the theatrical one. Probably because we won some theater competition one time about 50 years earlier.
5. Inter-house sports were very competitive.
6. And if you got a Bludger to the face, there was indeed a mini-hospital in the school where you could get fixed up.
We called it the "san," short for "sanatorium" — which is a bit...creepy...in retrospect.
7. We were always surrounded by dramatic architecture.
8. And when your school building is hundreds of years old, there are most definitely ghosts.
9. The freezing temperatures and clunking pipes in the bathrooms always seemed particularly suspicious to me.
10. We spent a lot of time plotting ways to sneak out of bed at night without running into any teachers.
Got caught every single time.
11. And there was a small woodland on the grounds for further shenanigans.
12. Our snacks may not have hopped around like Chocolate Frogs, but we did keep them in special little trunks called Tuck Boxes.
Cat included for scale. And don't judge the sticker choices of my 11-year-old self.
13. Speaking of pets — we could bring them to school.
But only small animals like hamsters. I had a Russian dwarf hamster who liked to bite people so much that he may in fact have been an Animagus in hiding.
14. When you were old enough, you were allowed to go out into town with your fellow boarders.
Perhaps for a butterbeer.
15. And we celebrated the end of every term with a midnight feast in the dorm.
husband is fast asleep = i have the urge to cause great mischief or have a midnight feast. boarding school habits die hard11:25 PM - 14 Aug 2013
16. But the big social event of the year was a formal ball.
17. In the holidays, you kind of just sat around until you could go back and be with your friends again.
18. All in all, it was a pretty magical time that is hard to explain to the Muggles.
Let me know in the comments how bad you think a rain-soaked cloak smells on a scale of 1 to 10!
Keep up with the latest daily buzz with the BuzzFeed Daily newsletter!