We all know that Avatar is one of the greatest animated series on the planet. But the show did us dirty by pairing our queen Katara with Aang. Even the actors who voiced Katara and Zuko wanted them to get together! So here are all the reasons why we bow down to Zutara:
1. Zuko respects Katara as a bender, even if she is a girl.
When Katara and Zuko battle at the Spirit Oasis, he discovers she's a much stronger bender now. Unlike Master Pakku who takes lots of convincing, Zuko immediately acknowledges Katara's capabilities and treats her like a worthy opponent.
2. Katara offers to help Zuko even though they're enemies.
At this point, there's no real reason to help Zuko or Iroh. In fact, it would be better to let them suffer so Team Aang wouldn't have to worry about them for a minute. But there's something in Katara that's drawn to Zuko! There's a connection after all they've been through, and she recognizes that.
3. They have more in common than they realize.
In the crystal catacombs, Zuko and Katara realize they have something in common: they both lost their mothers to the Fire Nation. That's a strong, emotional tie they bond over.
4. They bring out the best in each other.
Zuko opens up for her and becomes vulnerable, which he doesn't do for many other characters. In response, she offers to use the special water from the Spirit Oasis to heal his scar. Even though he's chased Team Aang around the world, she's willing to do this for Zuko because she sees the good in him!
5. Katara and Aang's first real kiss is not the stuff of teenage dreams.
Katara and Aang's relationship feels more like a brother-sister one. Where are the sparks?? Even though the age difference is the same (Aang is two years younger than Katara while Zuko is two years older) Zuko and Katara's maturity levels are equal. Also, check out her body language here. Does that look like true love's kiss?! No.
6. Zuko saves Katara from a horrible death...
When Zuko switches sides, Katara is the only one who doesn't believe him. She even warns Zuko that she'll kill him if he steps out of line. But when rocks come crashing down and nearly crush her, Zuko pulls her out of the way and uses his body as a shield. He saves the one person who doubts him.
7. ...and she does the same for him.
A few minutes after Zuko saves Katara, she saves him right back! This is huge! It shows they would be equals in a relationship, from their bending abilities to rescuing each other's butts. Talk about a power couple!!
8. Zuko wants to make amends with her.
Katara still doesn't trust Zuko even though everyone else does. It clearly bothers him that he hasn't earned her support, and he cares about her opinion of him. He just wants to do right by her!
9. He looks past Katara's hatred of him to truly understand her anger.
Even though she's being mean to him, he senses that there's something else there. He cares about her so much that he asks Sokka about their mother's history so he can help.
10. Zuko understands Katara's need to hunt down the man who killed her mother when even Aang doesn't.
For all her life, Katara has carried hate in her heart for the Fire Nation commander who stole her mother. Now that she finally has a lead, she needs to pursue it. At first, Aang and Sokka don't understand, but Zuko does.
11. Zuko volunteers to accompany Katara on her quest for justice.
Setting off to defeat a Fire Nation commander is always dangerous but especially for Zuko since he's a traitor. Yet Zuko doesn't think twice about helping Katara with her mission, something that Aang and Sokka refuse to do.
12. Going on such an emotional journey with Zuko leads Katara to open her heart.
Though Katara ultimately decides not to kill Yon Rha, she needs to look him in the eyes and make that decision for herself. Zuko is the one who supports her and helps her close that painful chapter in her life. In return, she sets aside her anger for Zuko and resumes their friendship.
13. Their chemistry is UNREAL.
Katara literally THROWS HERSELF into Zuko's arms! And he's oh so happy to wrap them around her! And I'm sorry, but they make a GORGEOUS couple!!
14. Zuko drops little hints that he's interested in Katara.
When the squad attends the play about themselves, Aang wants to sit beside Katara, but Zuko doesn't let him. Could it be that Zuko wants Katara all to himself? I think so!
15. They engage in some pretty obvious flirting.
What's this? Cute little jabs at Zuko? Sounds flirtatious to me!
16. When the play covers their blossoming feelings for each other, they act like it's true.
When the actors playing Zuko and Katara admit their feelings for each other, the real Zuko and Katara lock eyes and scoot away from each other. That's EXACTLY what teenagers would do if their crushes were revealed onstage!
17. When Aang kisses Katara after the play, she just says she's confused.
Aang confronts Katara about her (nonexistent) feelings for him, and she says she's not certain where she stands. I'm betting it's because she just watched a play where she and Zuko were together, so she's busy thinking about her crush on him! Plus, Aang kissing her when she clearly doesn't want it is so problematic.
18. They continue to act like they're denying their feelings for one another.
When June calls Katara Zuko's girlfriend, they freak out and insist they are not dating. WHY DO YOU SURPRESS YOUR LOVE?!! It's so obvious they're into each other!
19. Katara gives Zuko the encouragement he needs to face Uncle Iroh.
Zuko stops outside Iroh's tent. He's so scared that his uncle will never forgive him that he's afraid to go inside. But Katara offers her wisdom and convinces Zuko that all will be well. Zuko and Iroh's touching reunion might not have happened without her help!
20. Zuko accepts Azula's challenge to an Agni Kai because he's trying to protect Katara.
Katara and Zuko plan to take on Azula together, but when they arrive at her coronation, he decides to fight her alone. He says it's so no one else will get hurt, but what he really means is so Katara won't get hurt!!
21. Zuko jumps in front of a FREAKING LIGHTNING BOLT for Katara!!!
When Zuko sees that Azula is sending her lightning blast straight at Katara, he dives in front of her to protect her. If that's not love, I don't know what is!! And just look at Katara's expression of ABSOLUTE HORROR when she sees that her love has been struck!!
22. Even after being zapped, Zuko reaches out to Katara.
Whether he's trying to firebend to protect Katara or just reaching for her in search of comfort, all he wants is his Katara safely beside him.
23. Finally, water and fire are opposite elements. Their differences would make their relationship stronger.
Considering the balance of yin and yang is an important plot point of the show, it would just make sense for the main relationship to embody that! And don't even try to tell me she wouldn't make an AMAZING Fire Lady!! We all know that Fire Lord Zuko would be a better ruler with Katara as Lordess.
What are your favorite Zutara moments? Let me know in the comments below!
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.