The Wall Street Journal: FBI Director Wray’s timeline of Porter probe contradicts White House

The Wall Street Journal: FBI Director Wray’s timeline of Porter probe contradicts White House
imageGetty Images

FBI Director Christopher Wray

The head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation said his agency first flagged issues with its background check of Rob Porter to the administration in March, a timeline that conflicts with what the White House said it knew about the former aide’s past.


Porter resigned last week amid accusations that he physically abused two ex-wives. He has denied the allegations.


Director Christopher Wray told the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday that the FBI last year gave multiple updates to the White House on its findings about Porter. After sharing a partial report on Porter in March, the FBI provided its completed background check on Porter to the White House in July, Wray said. The White House asked follow-up questions, he said, and the FBI provided answers to those in November.


An expanded version of this story is available at WSJ.com.


Popular on WSJ.com:


Kraft Heinz made its factories really efficient. Now it has to sell bologna


California employers in a bind over immigration enforcement